Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Is the oak from an old dining room table when cut to size suitable for outdoor fencing?

New oak boards are so expensive I thought I might cut and plane the oak from two old tables to use as fencing boards. The question is "Will they stand up to the weather without twisting?".|||Just an idea.... you might be further ahead to sell the tables and use that money to buy treated lumber that would last longer.|||It's a bit hard to say. If the tables have been indoors, and stabilized to a dry environment, it's possible that the wood could warp when exposed to weather, especially after being cut down to smaller sizes. It has to do with how well they're sealed and painted after cutting them down. I have to add that oak is not all that great as an "outdoor" wood, compared to cedar, teak or redwood. I understand about the cost, and if it's free, it's worth it, but it will take more maintenance to make oak last compared to others.|||Well with my tongue firmly in my cheek I have seen some gardens in Coxhoe fenced off with a row of old doors, and some even have the knobs still on!!|||Sure if they can be cut to size. Be sure to give them a good paint job with outside paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment