Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What is the best fencing sword for me?

I'm just starting fencing, and of course I'm going to start with a foil, but what would be the best for me when I'm done?


I'm a 14 year old boy, 5'8, and 115 pounds, and I'm pretty skinny. Can you also explane why this would be good for me? Thank you!|||First of all, it ultimately depends on your preference. Physical stature does not make any significant difference, as a good coach will train you depending the weapon and on your physique.





However, there are distinct differences in each weapon that may make you more suited towards one or the other.





Starting with sabre, as that is my primary weapon:





Sabre is the fastest paced of the three weapons, and the only one to allow scoring with the edge of the weapon rather than just the point. While sabre fencing requires strategy and forethought just like the other two, the speed of the exchanges means that such planning is more short-term and must happen a great deal faster. Sabre is an exercise in speed, agility, and power. As a sabre fencer myself, I am biased towards it, however, each weapon has its merits.





Foil, the common start weapon:





You state that you will be following the classical method of beginning with foil. Foil is one of the two point-weapons, and has a style different from epee and sabre. Foil requires point control, unlike sabre, and is a good choice for individuals who are good at "medium-term" strategy. It provides an excellent base of the basics of fencing, and is also the most popular weapon, meaning that the pool of available fencers and coaches is much greater. Because the target is so confined, (the smallest area of the three weapons) foil is an exercise in control and accuracy.





Epee, where you can score off your opponent's toe! (that has always amused me, I must admit!):





The target in epee is in essence the whole body, thus there is A LOT more space to defend than foil or sabre. I personally believe it to be the weapon requiring the most patience and strategy over the long term. Much of epee fencing is knowing ones opponent and outsmarting them to an extent not seen in the other weapons (knowing ones opponent is important regardless of what weapon you fence). However, even if epee isn't as fast paced as sabre, it is no less rewarding.





Like I said, the choice is ultimately up to you. Your physique in no way determines which weapons you can and can not fence. I personally am very short (5ft), and very lightweight. When compared to my fellow sabre fencers, I look positively tiny. Thus, my coach focused on speed and agility. After all, if you aren't there, you can't be hit!





Pick the weapon that looks the most interesting to you. Watch people fencing, even if only on youtube, and think about how YOU would do there.





Good luck, and welcome to the fencing community ( if you stick around, you'll find its a small but awesome group of people!)





AR





www.usfencing.org is the site for the USFA, the United States Fencing Association. They have a ton of info, and some pretty awesome videos too.|||Adding on to the previous answer, your weapon really depends on your style.


I am a very aggressive fencer (tend to go for immediate attacks, don't like the long process of playing with the opponent's blade. Therefore, I am a saberist, as I like the quick paced bout time.


If you're good with right of way, foil is probably your best bet, as it uses the most of any weapon (it's also the least bruising, if you care). Foil has the most blade work of all the weapons, with epee close behind.


Epee is the closest to "real" sword fighting you can come to in fencing; no right of way, each touch is a point, etc. It's also the heaviest weapon, so if you lack arm strength, you may have to work out for it if you're not already adjusted.


Something else to take into consideration is what weapon your club specializes in. For instance, my club's focus is foil, and it is therefore harder for me to learn more, as we don't have a coach who's primary weapon is saber. This is mostly just if you are looking to compete. Don't let it hold you back from a weapon you think you will enjoy above the others.


Another good thing to do is to talk to your coach for recommendations. Your coach sees your fencing more than anyone else, and knows what style tends to match best with each weapon. This does not mean you have to take what your coach suggests as law; it is just something else to think of.


I am also 5'8" and 115 pounds, and I've fenced all weapons and found no strong advantages or disadvantages due to size.


Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment